Be sun safe and skin smart!
Protect your skin by:
- Making sure you cover yourself top to toe with sunscreen – Yes, literally! The areas that tend to be missed are; the scalp, ears, neck and feet.
- A must – reapplying your sunscreen every two hours. You can set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself to make it part of routine. Even on cloudy days, UV rays are still present. SPF needs to be part of your daily skincare regime.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of minimum 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water resistant broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of minimum 30 or higher.
- Choose a sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB rays.
- ‘Water resistant’ does not mean waterproof – so make sure you are extra cautious with frequently reapplying.
- Seek the shade – especially between 10AM and 4PM!
- Choose sunglasses that offer UV protection (and look cool, of course)
- Get yourself a hat
- Last but not least DON’T burn!
Why UVA and UVB rays?
You need to protect against UVA and UVB rays because they both damage the skin, age the skin prematurely and put your skin at higher risk of skin cancer if not being skin smart and safe.
Regular skin checks are a great idea – especially for frequent travellers, cabin crew and pilots. Cumulative sun exposure, sunbed use and burning episodes are risk factors for skin cancer. For your health and peace of mind we usually recommend annual checks with surveillance throughout the year and get any concerns checked immediately!
It is surprising that in the UK many people do not realise how prevalent skin cancer actually is. It is now the commonest cancer in the world. Whilst our climate is not necessarily always warm we are exposed to ultraviolet and infrared radiation on a daily basis and this causes damage to the skin which ultimately leads to skin cancer (and photoaging!). In Australia 2 out of 3 adults will develop skin cancer in their lifetime and whilst our incidence is not as high in the UK figures are estimated to be around 1 in 5 (and rising over time).
Mr Paul Banwell,
Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
- Rationale – Richard Parker quotes that ” 80% of facials ageing is caused by the sun”. The RATIONALE Essential Six can prevent and repair most of this damage, restoring skin radiance. In the Essential Six range you will get protection from the entire solar constant.
- Heliocare – Fern block technology, a fern grown in central America which develops defence and mechanisms from the sun when evolving from aquatic to terrestrial life. Heliocare factor 50 contains antioxidants and restorative ingredients giving the best coverage against solar damage.
- Albus & Flora – A lip protectant – Factor 30. Full of antioxidants, vitamins and omegas. UVA and UVB protection offering full board spectrum cover. Protecting against sun damage, fine lines and loss of lip fullness.